Sunday, August 7, 2011

Mill Hollow

My nose is sunburned, I have 14 mosquito bites, and there's a huge pile of campfire-scented laundry awaiting me... we're back from camping! Kenzie and Parker were so excited for the tent! They played in it and read books for a long time that first night.
I got out the camera and Chris said, "Oh, Mommy thinks something is cute!" I did think this was cute, my two guys watching the fire together.
The second day we spent fishing at the lake. I brought a book!
Kenzie kept telling Chris she could give him fishing lessons. We were perplexed about this for awhile, and finally Chris told her gently he didn't need any lessons. She asked, "Then why did you say you needed to get some lessons?" Ah, then we realized she'd heard us saying he needed to buy his license before we left! Kenzie was all prepared to be helpful, though, and if you need lessons be sure to keep her in mind!
Parker fell asleep on my lap while at the lake, so we headed back to camp for some rest time.
There is a deer eating in the background here. What was funny about this was, despite how close it was, we had to point it out to McKenzie, and even then it took her a good minute to actually see it. ("Where? Where?") We won't be offering lessons on Wildlife Observance.
What Kenzie is good at, however, is keeping camp organized and well swept. She has always loved the camping broom, and it's the best toy when we're outdoors. Here she is brushing off her rock collection.
We ended our last day with an "adventure" according to the kids. Really it was a short walk along the trail behind our campsite, but they had fun picking wildflowers, blowing dandelions (a big no-no in our yard - I hate dandelions!), and spotting more deer.
Parker kept collecting rocks, so we were happy to find a little stream for him to throw them in.
It was a good trip, but three days, two nights is obviously our limit for camping - Parker started asking for a bath!

1 comment:

MomSqrt said...

I LOVE Mill Hollow!!! I actually used to work there at the School Site. I started going when I was just tiny while my dad was there... I went every opportunity I could. I used to make Mike take me there every summer before we moved. I miss it! Looks like ya'll had some fun!!
:D