Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Allie's Stay on Earth

Wednesday, March 30, 2011. I got to the hospital at about 8:45pm and was in so much pain that the nurses took one look at me and started setting up the room and paging people. It was already time to push, but I was not mentally prepared for childbirth without medication, so I cried quite a bit. She was facing backwards so she was stuck for awhile, but Allison Genevieve Arnold was born at 9:44pm. She was 6 lbs. 13 oz. and 18.5 inches, but since she was only 34 weeks along, the nurses whisked her away before I could even see much of her.
When we did get to see her, we couldn't believe how much she reminded us of McKenzie. This information thrilled McKenzie to hear! She definitely looked like she belonged in our family.
We still couldn't hold her, since she needed help at first keeping her oxygen levels up. That was typical of babies born early, though, so we waited.
The kids couldn't see her, so they had fun hanging out in the hospital room with me. Kenzie stole my hospital robe, and has worn it around the past few days, wrapped her teddy bear in it, and even slept with it.
Parker had fun watching TV, playing on Daddy's phone, and of course pushing the buttons on the bed. They were both so very patient. I finally got to hold Allie Friday morning at about 4am. I was so excited I wanted to call Chris and brag, but I refrained from a 4am phone call. It finally felt real to me when I actually got to hold her. Unfortunately, Friday was also when Allie had to be transferred up to the University of Utah Hospital's NBICU. She wasn't peeing and was getting puffy, and the nurses at Alta View couldn't do anything for her. I was discharged from the hospital, and we followed her up to the U, but nobody could tell us anything yet. I don't think I've ever felt so exhausted as I did that night.
Saturday Daddy and I went to visit Allie, who was a Daddy's girl already. I have always loved watching my husband with our kids, and watching him with Allie was very special, too.
I held her too, of course, and she was pretty alert. She tried to look around and make some noises. I loved getting to see those little eyes trying to look around (but usually just going cross-eyed with that newborn vision). We were told she was perfect in every way except one - her kidneys were not working. Sunday morning at 6:30am I received a phone call from the nurse practitioner that Allie had stopped breathing several times and had been placed on a ventilator. We were not told more than that until we arrived in person. I never want to be so outnumbered by doctors in a tiny room again. The kidney specialist explained there was nothing he could do for Allie's kidneys to make them work. Because of their failure, her little body was filling up with fluids. Her heart was working too hard, and her little lungs were having trouble expanding against the pressure. I just sat and stared at the floor for awhile, and definitely was in the denial stage at that point.
Now the rules could be bent, and Kenzie and Parker were allowed to visit. You can see the pure joy in Kenzie's face here as she got to see her little sister for the first time. Allie opened her eyes and peeked at Kenzie, and Kenzie stroked her hair and held her little hand and talked to her. It was so bittersweet to hear Kenzie say, "It was the best day ever!"
Our family picture. Parker is not sure in this picture, but he did understand some. "Baby Allison come out your tummy!" he would tell me, and he smiled at her and said she was cute. Our Bishop came, and we were able to give her a name and a blessing. She was blessed with courage and strength, and she certainly was stronger than the rest of us. Monday, April 4, 2011. My mom flew in to see her, and was the first to hold her this day. She was attached to so many life-sustaining devices by this point that it took two nurses to be able to move her. I had never in my life seen my mother cry - not even when my brother passed away. She cried with us that day, though, as we sat and waited for Allie to be placed in a private room so family members could visit. Before going to the NBICU, the nurses at Alta View had tried to comfort me by showing me the layout of the area and explaining as my baby improved, she would be moved closer to the exit. Having her moved to the very last private room at the end of the hall was so heartbreaking. I think I finally started to realize what was happening at that point. McKenzie finally got to hold her sister. Kenzie sat very still and was very careful with all the tubes, but still played with Allie's one free hand. She was braver than the rest of us, and told me, "It will be okay, Mom." They were able to sit together for a few minutes, until Kenzie's arm got tired. "My one arm was tired, and my other arm was itchy!" she told me. I can't blame her; it was very hard to hold her on that pillow with all her equipment beeping at every slight movement. I managed to make a joke right before this picture, so it almost looks like a happy occasion. Only Chris and I held her after Kenzie since it was too hard on Allie to be moved, but we managed to pack the private room and the waiting room with family members. Until about 6:30 everyone came and kissed her forehead and visited with her. Allie was even puffier, and could only open her left eye by then. She opened it whenever she was spoken to, though, and it's hard to describe how it felt to have that one eye look out at me when I tried to comfort her. Daddy was able to give her a very special blessing, in which we knew our little girl was wanted back home with her Heavenly Father.
Once all our family members had left a little before 8pm, Daddy and I were able to spend some time together with Allie. This is her one free hand, the one I held. It was time to let her go, but all I wanted to be able to do was hold her once. Just really hold her. No tubes or machines beeping at me, just to hold my baby girl. It wasn't for very long, but I was grateful to get to hold her for a bit. She breathed on her own for a little while, but it made a terrible gaspy sound, and she wasn't even opening her one eye anymore. All I could do was tell her it was okay, to please go home and be at peace. She was much stronger than I was, though, and hung in there long enough for us to say goodbye to her. My sweet little girl passed away in my arms, and I can't begin to describe how much I miss her already. I am so glad I got to be with her for a little while, however. She was worth it. I know Heavenly Father will take good care of her until I can see her again. I know she is our daughter forever and that has already given us great comfort. I love you, my little Allie.

21 comments:

Chesney said...

I am so very sorry for what your family is going through. You are all in my prayers. What a beautiful baby girl she is. I am so grateful for the knowledge of the gospel and that we will see our loved ones again and that you will get to raise Allie.

Crystal said...

I am so sorry this trial has happened to your sweet family. I hope and pray that you will be comforted at this time. Treasure those few days you had with your beautiful girl.

Shannon said...

What a beautiful baby girl. My heart goes out to you and your family. I, too, am grateful for our knowledge in the gospel and that we will be with our loved ones again.

Marcie said...

Oh Tiffany, I am so sorry to hear about this. She was a beautiful baby girl and my heart goes out to you and your family. I can't imagine going through something like this. I hope you have comfort in the coming weeks and months as you heal. Thank goodness for the gospel and the plan of salvation and that you will be with her again someday.

Kristin said...

I am just at a loss at what to say. We love you and are thinking of you and praying for you. I wish we still lived in Utah, so that we could be of some help to you in your time of need. I am so glad that you got to spend a few days with your sweet girl. Many prayers <3

McDowell Family said...

Heavenly Father chose you as her parents because He knew that you could handle whatever came your way! I am grateful for the Gospel in knowing that our families can be together forever. So sorry for your loss. As soon as I read the blog title I started crying, and knew right away. I hope you keep your spirits up and know that she is well taken care of.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

She is beautiful. I'm so sorry. Thank you for your post and your positive message.

The Chryst Family said...

She is Beautiful. We love you guys.

Ash said...

OH tiff, I am so sorry to hear this! You are in my prayers

MARILYN McCARTY said...

Chris and Tiffany, McKenzie and Parker, our hearts go out to you on this sad yet enlightening experience. Your loss is so great, we wish we could help you bear the burden. Reading your account helped us realize how much faith your family has - a wonderful example to all of us. We love you and are praying for your comfort.

FLEUR de Lo said...

I am so, so sorry. I know you will be with your little angel again, yet my heart aches for the current distance. May the Lord continue to wrap you in His loving arms. Thank you for sharing your piece of heaven.

Lora {I worked with Christian at Copper Canyon}

StephNyd said...

Tiff- I know it's hard to find words of comfort right now. But I want you to know that we are thinking about you and many prayers have been said on your behalf. We love your family and are here for you. Nate and I wish we could take away the pain. Allie is beautiful and I'm so glad that you were able to have those few days with her. Again, we are here for you and give you all of our love.

Abs and Me said...

Oh wow. Thank you for sharing your story. Such a heartbreaking situation, but I too am so grateful for the gospel and the knowledge that we can all be together again one day. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Julie said...

Chris...What a beautiful baby girl you have! I hope you can find some comfort in the gospel through all of this! I'll be praying for you guys and hope that you will all be okay!

Anonymous said...

To the Arnold Family,
I am so deeply saddened,& my heart felt thoughts are with you at this difficult time. I know personally what you are going through. I lost my infant daughter Halli, 11 years ago in March. May God give you comfort strength, and courage to cope through this time.

Sincerely, Michelle Peterson
Columbia Elementary School
Jordan School District

Unknown said...

I am heartbroken for your family. You and your family are such an example of strength and courage. I hope you find comfort and joy. We love you guys!

Carinne said...

Tiffany, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imgaine what you are going through at this time. We are thinking of you and praying for you.

Becky said...

Well-written, Tiffany. You will forever be glad you documented this experience. I know you guys can/will feel the healing that comes from the atonement. You are brave. We'll continue to pray for your family.

julspyder said...

Allie is a beautiful daughter. I am so grateful to know she is in safe loving arms.
We love you guys.

Julie

Matt said...

Love you guys. Thank you for your example.

Marcee said...

What a beautiful little girl! I read this story of her precious life with tears streaming down my face. I have no words but to tell you you are all so loved. I am praying for comfort for you. She must be very special and important to Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for the gospel and that you will be with Allison again!