Saturday, August 29, 2009

What I Got for $20... and What We Got for Free

This morning I got up early and went to a few yard sales. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular, but I couldn't pass up this huge set of china for only $15. A few pieces are chipped a little, but most are in excellent condition, plus I think it's really pretty.
Also I found 6 nice Wilton cake pans for only $5. Cinderella, a teddy bear, two flower pans, a horseshoe, and R2D2. I was excited that it was worth the lost sleep on a Saturday morning.
Kenzie and I had a "tea party" with orange juice. She loves the "glass dishes."
And THEN -- I had seen online a listing for "free, just come haul away" not far away. It was in a gated community, so we felt silly asking to get in for what might be a pile of junk. Wow. An mp3 player, digital camera, jewelry box, digital camcorder, crossbow, canisters, serving platters, GPS unit, tennis racket... all very nice things. My favorite part was watching Kenzie. I told her she could pick a stuffed animal, so she carefully selected one green teddy bear. The lady giving away the stuff told her, "Take as many as you want!" With that, Kenzie perked right up. She filled her arms (with mostly nice Beanie babies) and made trip after trip to the van with the biggest smile on her face. (Parker loved a stuffed ostrich and a monkey, but Kenzie picked him out everything from a snake to a jellyfish, too)
More loot: a nice wooden salad bowl set, a clarinet (very nice condition, too), several sets of wine/champagne glasses (no, I don't drink, but I do like the glasses), a ton of books, sundae dishes, several Stargate DVDs (we didn't watch, but my in-laws loved it - Merry Christmas Mom and Dad! haha), nice backpacks, a cassette recorder, a food saver, card reader, and probably other things I'm forgetting to list. Kenzie's wanted a hula hoop (or "Hoop-a-loop" to her) for awhile now, too, so that was exciting to her. (She was also delighted when we opened the jewelry box and discovered bracelets and a watch!) Chris and I just kept looking at each other with raised eyebrows that they were giving this stuff away. Hooray for rich people!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

SERIOUSLY???!!!! I have a sister that loves to garage sale and finds great stuff all the time. I have only been a few times because the places I end up at have nothing but junk. Nice score on the china set and all the FREE stuff. So cool! Do you think I could borrow the R2D2 cake pan in December??? I like to make character cakes for my kids but I haven't ever done one for my husband and R2 would be perfect!

Tiff said...

You bet. I found instructions for it online at Wilton.com, too, and it looks pretty straightforward. Remind me when it gets closer!

Marcee said...

That's amazing!!